Your privacy is of great importance to us, and our website has been developed with that in mind. We recognize your right to know what information is being collected about you and how that information will be used, as well as our obligations to protect what we do collect.
The Hypersomnia Foundation (“HF”) respects your privacy while you are an online visitor to our website. At our site, we do not collect personal information unless you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly.
We acknowledge your right:
- To know for what purpose the information gathered might be used.
- To know with what other entities the information gathered might be shared.
- To reasonable security of any data collected.
- To data accuracy and fidelity.
- To access data gathered to ensure accuracy.
- To choose not to be included in any use of the data unrelated to the stated purpose for which the data was collected.
- To choose not to be included in any transfer of data to any third party for any use unrelated to the stated purpose for which the data was collected.
Information We Collect About You
Personal Information. We may collect the following types of personal information:
- Information provided by you when accessing our systems through the site. For example, you may be required to submit personal information such as your name, address, telephone number, and/or e-mail address in order to access certain services on the site.
- Credit or debit card, or bank account, information collected from you when requesting a service (such as an online donation).
- Information you provide us through correspondence and general feedback.
Non-Personal Information. When you visit the site, we may collect non-personal information, such as a catalog of the Site pages you visit. Non-personal information is generally collected through the Site from the following sources: server log files, cookies, and other technologies and information that you voluntarily provide.
Server log files. Your Internet Protocol (IP) address is logged in our server log files, along with other information about your activity on our Site. We use your IP address for purposes of calculating Site usage levels, helping diagnose problems with our servers, and generally administering the Site.
How We Use the Information We Collect
Personal Information. We may use personal information we collect in the following ways:
- Fulfillment of Requests. We may use personal information collected from you to provide you with the services or information you requested.
- Administrative Communications. From time to time, we may use personal information you provide us to tell you about events, to update you about our work, to improve our promotional efforts, or to advise you of important changes to the Site. Because this information may be necessary to help us fulfill your needs when you use the Site, or may be required by Federal regulation, you may not opt out of receiving such communications.
- Business Partners. We may partner with other companies to help us provide certain resources or services (as an example, we routinely use EventBrite to help us manage our conference registrations, or PayPal to process donations). We may disclose personal information to third parties who provide services to us in connection with fulfilling your requests. For example, if you make a donation by credit card, certain personal information may be supplied to our bank partner for purposes of processing a credit card transaction. When using the online giving tools available on our Site, personal information may be disclosed to organizations that help us account for donations or maintain other records. Additional disclosure may be made to other parties as required by law. HF does not otherwise sell, rent, trade, or provide your personal information to outside parties.
Non-Personal Information. Because non-personal information does not personally identify you, we may use such information for any purpose.
How We Protect Your Information
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to data. These measures may include periodic reviews of our data collection, storage, and processing practices and security measures, including physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop, or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
When we provide business partners with your information in order to fulfill your request, we require that these parties agree to process such information on our instructions and with appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
HF does not itself collect any medical records, medical images, patient outcomes, and other sensitive individually-identifiable data; but you should be aware that some of our partners or other organizations to which we may refer you, may specifically request this kind of information. Those organizations are not covered by this policy. For further information you should refer to those organizations’ individual policies on privacy and data protection.
Notices and Disclosures
The HF does not specifically market to children under 13. The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control of the online activities of their children. If you have reason to believe that your child under the age of 13 has submitted personal information to the HF, please contact us using the method set forth below (“How to Contact Us”).
Lawful Basis for Processing
The laws in some countries require us to tell you the lawful grounds that we rely upon to collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process your personal information. To the extent that those laws apply, our lawful basis is as follows:
- For contact information, including name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number–Your consent; such collection/use is necessary to provide you with the content that you request.
- For purchaser information, including credit card number, contact information, and billing information–Your consent; such collection/use is necessary to provide you with the content or service that you request.
- For technical information, including your IP address, browser type, and usage levels–Our lawful basis is the legitimate purpose of authenticating subscribers and optimizing website performance.
Please note that the HF is a nonprofit organization based in the United States, and the operation of our website and the services we provide is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any country or territory other than that of the United States.
Retention of Personal Information
The HF retains indefinitely all of the personal information we gather about visitors or subscribers as necessary to fulfill our contract with you. We retain indefinitely certain anonymized information we gather about visitors or subscribers for the legitimate purpose of performing website analytics and providing use of our website to all visitors in an efficient and relevant way.
Acceptance of These Terms
How to Contact Us